The wide availability of hyper scale cloud solutions from companies such as Amazon and Microsoft have radically transformed computing in the last few years. This is perhaps down to their many advantages:
- They are simple to consume.
- They provide agility, security and a wide range of services and tools surrounding them.
For many companies and organisations, they represent an ideal range of choices. They are truly “off the peg”- meaning the majority of requirements can be catered for. Cost is predictable, although dependant on specific needs. However, they can be problematic and very costly if there is a need to remove (egress) large data quantities. This represents just one of the “hidden” cloud costs dependant on the type of activity involved.
I read a piece this week from the CEO of a well-known MSP, who had an after dinner speaking slot at a conference. In attendance were other MSP’s and senior people in that sector. The original question posed was: “How do we compete with the hyper-scalers?” The CEO rightly suggested they shouldn’t try. His logic is that independent providers have a different role to play- which I agree with.
Key areas where the independents have a role to play are where:
- Latency and range of connectivity are critical.
- Data location is relevant.
- Data sovereignty is critical.
- Physical adjacency is critical, access etc.
- Specific technology choices are required and need to be co-located.
- If you have very specific security requirements, customised to your exact needs.
- If you need differentiated forms of connectivity, adjacency to cables or satellite comms as examples.
I am sure there are many more but it clear that there is enough “gap” for a differentiated offering.
Furthermore, it is possible to create a solution with characteristics that provide competitive advantage by having options to customise the solution. As in the tailoring analogy, buying something “off the peg” covers many bases but if you need something that is individual and has to meet a different range of criteria, a bespoke option may be the best.
The Goonhilly Earth Station Data Centre offers a range of unique possibilities in terms of cloud solutions, connectivity and GPU based compute for AI in a highly secure location with a myriad of power options. Call us to discuss.